Monday, May 11, 2009

Dear Urban Word,

You guys did a show at my High School, and I have to say, I was quite inspired by it. Up until then, I had really looked down on free-verse, spoken-word poetry, thinking that the ultimate poetry was that expressed with periodic rhyme and meter, i.e. sonnets. However, after seeing your performances, I realize that true poetry is in meaning, not in meter. I was especially inspired by the story of Xavier, the deaf poet, as portrayed by Amanda. I make this compliment not to diminish the talent of those at the performance, as it was all both inspiring and entertaining. I hope your organization continues to do what it is doing, and if I do, in fact, end up going to school in the New York City area, I would love to become involved with Urban Word.
Sincerely,
Adam

No comments: